The Division of Health, Wellness and Family Development is advising the public to pay attention to the symptoms associated with the coronavirus disease, which originated in China.
This large family of viruses can cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. The common symptoms to look for include fever and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death.
The disease can be spread through droplets, when coughing and sneezing. Simple, preventative measures to reduce the risk of contracting the Coronavirus include:
- Clean hands often with soap and water or hand sanitizer.
- When coughing and sneezing, cover nose and mouth with tissue or inside elbow.
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Thoroughly cook meats and eggs.
- Always have protected contact with animals (wild or farm).